Do I Have to Pay Spousal Support if My Ex-Partner Remarried?

Close Up of Man's Hands Signing a FormWe often get calls from former spouses who have been ordered to pay spousal support. SLO clients who are paying alimony usually have given a lot of thought to how they can modify or terminate it. This is a tricky question to answer without knowing the exact details of your court order. However, what we can discuss are the different factors that can allow you to modify your spousal support agreement. One such factor is the remarriage of your former spouse. If you’d like to learn more about how our world-class family law attorneys can help you with your alimony payments, give Hosford & Hosford a call today at (805)439-1906.

We’ve been practicing law for over 35 years, and we have a long record of victories for our clients. We are incredibly proud of the reputation we have as some of the hardest working and powerful attorneys on the SLO Central Coast. We have extensive experience with all aspects of family law, especially when it comes to spousal support. If your spouse has remarried or if they’re about to, give us a call immediately at (805)439-1906.

Once you call us, we’ll set up a convenient time for you to meet us so we can discuss your case and learn more about your goals and objectives. After that, our attorneys will develop a unique plan of action for you that will allow us to meet your goals.

What Happens to Spousal Support if My Ex-Partner Remarries?

The first thing you should know is that your court order for spousal support absolutely can be modified. If you can successfully demonstrate certain “changes in circumstances”, the court may consider adjusting your order to pay spousal support. SLO clients should definitely consider retaining the services of an attorney to ensure they get the best possible outcome.

  • Changes in income for you – If you have experienced a decrease in pay and can’t afford to keep paying spousal support, the court will consider this when deciding to alert the order.
  • Changes in income for your ex-partner – If your former partner begins earning more money, this is another change in circumstance that could warrant changing the court order for spousal support.
  • Marriage – If your ex-partner remarries or begins cohabitating with their new partner, it can be argued that there has been a change in circumstances that warrants altering the court order for spousal support.

SLO clients should NOT just make a verbal agreement with their ex-partner without getting it in writing and submitting it to a judge to review and official add to the court order. Verbal agreements are notoriously difficult to defend in court, and you should always have an attorney present if you’re going to negotiate with your ex-partner.

Hosford & Hosford offers mediation services, and we have an impressive record of successfully negotiating for our clients in cases involving spousal support. SLO clients that want someone in their corner during negotiations that will always have their back and always argue for their best interests should call Hosford & Hosford today at (805)439-1906.