What if I Cannot Make my Child Support Payments?

Times are hard out there for everyone and making your child support payments can be extremely tough. If this is the case for you, the best thing that you can do is contact us here at Hosford & Hosford and talk with one of our attorneys. There are a few things that you and your San Luis Obispo child support lawyer can discuss if you can’t make your child support payment.

Talk to the Court

One mistake that we see noncustodial parents make is they don’t contact the court when their financial situation changes. The amount of child support you pay is based on how much money you were making originally. If you’ve lost your job, have new medical expenses, or are earning less money than before, you can talk with the court and ask them to adjust the amount of money that you owe. Even if your financial situation has not changed but the amount of child support has increased, you could still be able to get the amount you owe reduced.

But you need to work with a good a San Luis Obispo child support lawyer because you must have the amount of child support you owe legally changed through the court. Don’t just make a verbal agreement with the primary custodian of your kids. Verbal agreements may not hold up in court and you could end up owing back support.

If you have any questions about child support or if your financial situation has changed and you won’t be able to make your payment, don’t hesitate to call us here at Hosford & Hosford. We specialize in family law and always offer a solution-oriented approach to every client we work with.